EHRS Board Members
Prof. Bianca Maria Piraccini
Tel: + 39 051 6364867
Department of Specialised
Experimental and Diagnostic Medicine
Università of Bologna
Bologna 40138, Italy
Dr. Claire A Higgins
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7594 5826
Department of Bioengineering
Imperial College London
London SW7 2AZ, UK
Dr. Nilofer Farjo
Tel: +44 (161) 832-2848
Farjo Hair Institute,
70 Quay Street, Manchester
M3 3EJ, UK
Brief history of the EHRS formation and development
The idea to create the first hair society was agreed in London April, 1989, and was soon followed by its formal constitution in Brussels November, 1989 with 39 founding members.
The original vision of the EHRS, to be an accessible forum established for the exchange of scientific information within the hair research community, remains strongly held today.
The EHRS has held meetings in many different European cities since the first meeting in Brussels in 1989. The hard work of successive local organising committees is reflected in the great success of the meetings and the long standing membership of several eminent scientists and clinicians working in Europe and beyond.
The relationship of the EHRS with partners from Industry has also been a strong and productive one, with members from Industry in the founder group. Companies recognise and value the EHRS meetings as an opportunity to link industrial and basic research to ensure translation from basic science into products and therapies that benefits patients and consumers. Many companies sponsor the meetings and exhibit their products to delegates. This, in turn, has enabled organisers to offer best value to delegates in terms of facilities and reduced fees for students.
The EHRS also co-organizes international scientific meetings with its sister societies:
- American Hair Research Society (AHRS)
- Society for Hair Science Research (SHSR, Japan)
- Australasian Hair and Wool Research Society (AHWRS)
- Korean Hair Research Society (KHRS)
- Hair Research Society of India (HRSI)
EHRS Meetings: 1989—present
- 1989 Bruxelles, Belgium. First and founding meeting. Organisation: Dominique van Neste.
- 1991 Bologna, Italy. Organisation: Antonella Tosti.
- 1992 Berlin, Germany. Organisation: Constantin E. Orfanos.
- 1993 Stockholm, Sweden. Organisation: Bo Forslind.
- 1994 Sevilla, Spain. Organisation: Francisco M. Camacho.
- 1996 Paris, France. Organisation: Bruno F. Bernard.
- 1999 York, Great Britain. Organisation: Valerie Randall.
- 2000 Marburg, Germany. Organistation: Rolf Hoffmann.
- 2002 Bruxelles, Belgium. Organisation: Dominique van Neste.
- 2003 Barcelona, Spain. Organisation: Juan Ferrando and Ramon Grimalt.
- 2005 Zurich, Switzerland. Organisation: Ralph M. Trüeb.
- 2006 London, United Kingdom. Organisation: Andrew Messenger.
- 2008 Genoa, Italy. Organisation: Alfredo Rebora and Marcella Guarrera.
- 2009 Graz, Austria. Organisation: Daisy Kopera.
- 2011 Jerusalem, Israel. Organisation: Abraham Zlotogorski
- 2012 Barcelona, Spain. Organization: Ramon Grimalt and Juan Ferrando
- 2016 Tbilisi, Georgia. Organization: George Galdava and Nino Lortkipanidze
International Meetings 1995—present
- 1995 1st Tri-Continental meeting in Bruxelles, Belgium. Organisation: Dominique van Neste
- 1997 World Congress of Trichology in Sevilla, Spain. Organisation: Francisco M. Camacho
- 1998 2nd Intercontinental meeting in Washington, USA. Organisation: David Whiting, Jerry Shapiro and Ulrike Lichti
- 2001 3rd Intercontinental Meeting in Tokyo, Japan, June 13 – 15. Organisation: Hideoki Ogawa
- 2004 4th Intercontinental Meeting in Berlin, Germany. Organisation: Ulrike Blume-Peytavi
- 2007 5th Intercontinental Meeting in Vancouver, Canada. Organisation: Jerry Shapiro
- 2010 6th World Congress for Hair Research in Cairns, Australia. Organisation: Rod Sinclair
- 2013 7th World Congress for Hair Research in Edinburgh, Scotland. Organisation: Andrew Messenger
- 2014 8th World Congress for Hair Research in Jeju Island, Korea. Organisation: Won-Soo Lee
- 2015 9th World Congress for Hair Research in Florida, USA. Organisation: Wilma Bergfeld, Angela Christiano and Maria Hordinsky
- 2017 10th World Congress for Hair research in Kyoto, Japan. Organisation: Hideoki Ogawa, Ryoji Tsuboi, Satoshi Itami
Future International events
- 2018 European meeting for Hair research in Bologna, Italy.
- 2019 11th World Congress for Hair research in Barcelona, Spain.
- 2021 12th World Congress for Hair research in Melbourne, Australia.
Presidents of the EHRS
- 1989 – 1991 Prof. Rodney Dawber, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 1991 – 1992 Prof. Antonella Tosti, Bologna, Italy.
- 1992 – 1993 Prof. Dominique Van Neste, Tournai, Belgium.
- 1993 – 1994 Prof. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi, Berlin, Germany.
- 1994 – 1996 Prof. Roy Oliver, Dundee, Scotland.
- 1996 – 1998 Prof. Valerie Randall, United Kingdom.
- 1999 – 2001 Prof. Rudi Happle, Marburg, Germany.
- 2001 – 2004 Prof. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi, Berlin, Germany.
- 2004 – 2006 Prof. Andrew Messenger, Sheffield, United Kingdom.
- 2006 – 2008 Prof. Rolf Hoffmann, Freiburg, Germany.
- 2008 – 2011 Prof. Ralph M. Trüeb, Zürich, Switzerland.
- 2011 – 2014 Dr. Gill Westgate, Bedford, United Kingdom.
- 2014 – 2017 Prof. Abraham Zlotogorski, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 2017- present Prof. Bianca Maria Piraccini, Bologna, Italy.
Secretaries of the EHRS
- 1989 – 1992 Prof. Dr. Dominique Van Neste, Tournai,Belgium.
- 1992 – 1996 Dr. Valerie Randall, Bradford, UnitedKingdom.
- 1996 – 1998 Prof. Dr. Rudi Happle, Marburg, Germany.
- 1998 – 2001 Dr. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi, Berlin,Germany.
- 2001 – 2006 Prof. Dr. Rolf Hoffmann, Marburg,Germany.
- 2006 – 2008 Prof. Dr. Ralph Trueb, Zurich,Switzerland.
- 2008 – 2011 Dr. Gill Westgate, Bedford, United Kingdom.
- 2011 – 2014 Prof. Abraham Zlotogorski, Jerusalem, Israel.
- 2014 – 2017 Dr. Bianca Maria Piraccini, Bologna, Italy.
- 2017 – present Dr. Claire Higgins, London, United Kingdom.
Treasurers of the EHRS
- 1989 – 1997 Dr. Bernadette de Brouwer, Tournai, Belgium.
- 1998 – 2005 Dr. Michael Philpott, London, United Kingdom.
- 2005 – 2008 Dr. Desmond Tobin, Bradford, United Kingdom.
- 2008 – 2013 Dr. Andrew J McDonagh, Sheffield, United Kingdom.
- 2013 – present Dr. Nilofer Farjo, Manchester, United Kingdom.
Number of founding members = 39
Number of active members as of November 2017 = 172